Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"How to Buy A Love of Reading" by Tanya Egan Gibson

How to Buy A Love of Reading
by Tanya Egan Gibson
389 pages

Short Version: Carley Wells does not like reading, so for her sixteenth birthday her parents buy her an author to write a book that will change her thoughts about reading.

Why I Read It: The title of this book is what got my attention. I love to read, so I wanted to see how someone would buy that love.

The Book: From Goodreads
Asked to name her favorite book, sixteen-year-old Carley Wells answers, "never met one I liked." Her parents are horrified and decide to commission a book to be written just for her. They will be the Medicis of Long Island and buy their daughter The Love of Reading. At first, Carley's sole interest in the project is to distract Hunter, the young bibliophile she adores. But as Hunter's behavior becomes increasingly erratic, Carley begins to understand the importance of stories-and how they are powerful enough to destroy a person. Or save her. 

My Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed this book. It was an easier read which is what I needed after some crazy work. Carley Wells was one of those characters that I would get mad at when she wasn't making the right choices, but I was happy for her when she finally did. She is obsessed with her best friend Hunter, yet no one knows why since he is the most popular and good looking guy while she is overweight and not cool. At first I thought their friendship was great. Hunter was supportive of her and making her feel good about herself. My opinion quickly changed when Hunter started making bad decisions and just using Carley. The author hired for Carley's book is not the typical one you would think of to write a young adult book that would make Carley love to read. However, both Carley and the author learn about each other and themselves through the writing of the book. (There is a book within a book in How to Buy A Love of Reading). The ending was slightly predictable but had an element of surprise. I won't say anymore about it because I don't want to spoil anything.

3.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. The same reason that led you to buy the book made me want to read this review haha. The book's title of course! I'm not sure it would be my thing, but you know what...being a teacher in training...this might be sth for school - to read in class?! A heroine that frustrates you but at the same time you want her to be happy; yep, I hear ya. Had a couple of those types of heroines, too.
    Will have to investigate further. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. :-)
    _yay_ @ Reading_by_Kindle_Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what to think when I started reading this book (I just loved the title) but it is a book worth looking into. Thanks for checking out my review :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.